Since the spring of 2014 the Chapman Society has participated in the Adopt-A-Position program sponsored by the Gettysburg National Military Park. We presently are responsible for maintaining twenty-one sites on the battlefield. We voted to adopt twelve sites when another organization determined that they were no longer able to continue participating in the program and released the locations. We took on another nine in the spring of 2017.
A photo of each of the sites we have adopted and a little about each of them appears below. Click on the image for a larger view.
West Confederate Avenue - Erected 1910-1911, replacing earler tablet from 1901-1902. Hill's Corps, Heth's Division. 40th, 47th, 55th Regiments and 22nd Battalion Virgiia infantry. Marker indicates the position of the brigade on July 3 before advancing as part of Longstreet's assault.
West Confederate Avenue - Erected 1909. Part of A. P. Hill's Corps, division was comprised of Pettigrew's, Brockenbrough's, Archer's and Davis' brigades. The marker indicates the location of the division the afternoon of July 3 just prior to advancing as part of Longstreet's Assault.
Reynold's Avenue North - Erected 1910-1911, replacing earler tablet from 1901-1902. - Hill's Corps, Heth's Division. 2nd, 11th, and 42nd Mississippi and 55th North Carolina regiments. Marker located near the railroad cut where a large portion of the brigade was captured on July 1. (The 11th Mississippi was not present on the field on July 1.)
West Confederate Avenue - Erected 1910-1911, replacing earlier tablet erected 1901 -1902. Hill’s Corps, Heth’s Division. 55th NC, 2nd, 11th, 42nd Mississippi Regiments. Position on July 3 before advancing as part of Longstreet’s assault
West Confederate Avenue - Erected 1910-1911, replacing earler tablet from 1901-1902. Hill's Corps, Heth's Division. The brigade was made up of the 5th battalion and 13th Alabama, and the 1st, 7th, and 14th Tennessee. Of the 1,048 men present, 160 were killed or wounded and 517 were missing.
West Confederate Avenue - Erected 1901-1902, the marker shows the position of the battery on July 2, 3 and 4. The battery fired the first cannon shot of the battle on the morning of July 1 from a point along the Chambersburg Pike on the ridge west of Herr's Tavern.
West Confederate Avenue - Erected 1901-1902. Tablet shows location of the battery July 2, 3 and 4, except for the unit's howitzer, which was on detached assignment with Patterson's battery, also of Lane's Battalion.
The $25,000 cost was raised entirely through private donations. Dedicated during elaborate ceremonies in driving rain on July 3, 1982. Commemorates Tennessee’s three infantry regiments that served in Archer's Brigade at Gettysburg.
West Confederate Avenue - Erected 1901-1902. Marker indicates position of the battery on July 2 while it (along with the howitzer from Ross' battery) was detached from the rest of the battalion and engaged in the attack on the Peach Orchard.